Technically this was figured out last year, but it took me 20 minutes to
find it because my search terms were different

I spent a couple of hours iterating Hugin with different settings then
noting poor alignment in GIMP (8 pixels off in 3000), and at more than 1 km
distance it was not a parallax issue. My project is to create a sweep of
the Moon position across the southern sky. A wide angle lens would do it,
but then the "face on the Moon" is lost. By shooting views at 40mm for 90
min, I can stitch into a large resolution pano. But several of the Moon
images near the seams disappear. Instead, I simply use the remapped images
with exposure corrected and assemble in GIMP in "lighten" mode.

Perhaps for future GUI versions (I was using the Windows) there could be a
little reminder note to set crop to zero in the "remapped images" section?
And thank you thank you developers! Hugin and underlying panotools really
let me explore "I wonder if"
Regards,
Alister..

Original thread with images: Solution from Bruno Postle
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/hugin-ptx/remapped$20images%7Csort:date/hugin-ptx/rGZhNRppX6s/Tj6g9iWgBgAJ

Low res version of the pano from our dry run:

[image: 20200509_Sweep_DryRun.jpg]