Dear group!

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine managed a pv build on an intel mac using
macports. He sent me a build log, and I have included the instructions in
my bitbucket repo. So now pv can run on Linux, MS Windows and MacOS. The
mac build is simple, it comes down to this:

   - sudo port install vigra -python38
   - sudo port install sfml
   - sudo port install exiv2
   - git clone https://bitbucket.org/kfj/pv
   - cd pv
   - git checkout mac
   - make

Mac users, please give it a shot, and report what you think!

Since pv has matured nicely and all major platforms are now supported, how
about including it in the hugin or hugin-tools package? This would give
hugin users immediate access to a panorama viewer which is the same across
all platforms.

I'd also welcome packagers to produce standalone pv installers/installable
packages. Where MS Windows is concerned, pv depends on MinGW/msys2, which
is probably not very common, so I could provide an msys2-built binary and
the necessary DLLs, if someone would want to build a windows installer but
does not have an MinGW/msys2 environment.

Kay
kfj schrieb am Mittwoch, 8. April 2020 um 11:32:01 UTC+2:

> On 06.04.20 15:56, Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola) wrote:
> >
> > -  Its performance is a little bit worse than Panini, which I usually
> > use. The image flow is slower (my machine is an i7 from 2013 without an
> > Nvidia)
>
> Three more things concerning performance:
>
> - per default, pv uses bilinear interpolation for moving images. If you
> want to squash animation rendering times even further and do not mind
> aliasing, you can use nearest neighbour interpolation for moving images
> instead:
>
> --fast_interpolator_degree=0
>
> - per default, pv does it's internal calculations in linear RGB and
> converts the result to sRGB before sending it to the GPU. This is
> mathematically correct, but takes time. You can switch to processing in
> sRGB, which is okay for simply viewing images, with this option:
>
> --process_linear=false
>
> - also per default, pv checks if the input image has an alpha channel.
> If so, it tests if any pixels at all have transparency. If so, alpha
> processing is switched on. Even if there is only a single pixel with an
> alpha value of 254, this will trigger alpha processing, which also takes
> time. You can force alpha processing off:
>
> --alpha=no
>
> I was surprised to find that some of my panoramas done with hugin had
> pixels with transparency, even though I had used automatic cropping.
> Seems the automatics don't exclude all pixels with a little transparency
> (espacially in the corners). So keep this in mind.
>
> Performance comparisons are a dicey issue, a lot of stuff may go on
> behind the scenes, and you may end up comparing apples and pears.
>
> I'd be surprised to see CPU-based rendering code which is significantly
> faster than pv, as long as the mathematical operations are the same.
> It's very highly optimized.
>
> Kay

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/f2251959-7f8b-43e0-936d-a1182422e47fn%40googlegroups.com.
  • Re: [hugin-ptx... 'Kay F. Jahnke' via hugin and other free panoramic software
    • Re: [hugi... 'Kay F. Jahnke' via hugin and other free panoramic software
    • Re: [hugi... 'Kay F. Jahnke' via hugin and other free panoramic software
      • Re: [... 'kfj' via hugin and other free panoramic software
    • Re: [hugi... 'kfj' via hugin and other free panoramic software
      • Re: [... Luís Henrique Camargo Quiroz
        • R... 'Kay F. Jahnke' via hugin and other free panoramic software