"Fine tune all points" is usable. I often make two versions of the same
panorama, with and without Fine tune.
It is often visible on the preview, that the panorama layout changes after
fine tuning.
When adding control points manually, a human selects the most sharp edges
and the highest contrasts.
The detector (I think) compares blocks X × Y pixels, this is why these
points look misplaced.
The similarity is very low.

The image is an example, that points 5, 7, 8, 10, 11 are auto-detected,
where a human would never place control points.
Points 9, 12, 13 are added manually and fine tuned.
After deletion of the misplaced points 5, 7, 8 the final result may be much
better.
It would be much better if "Fine tune all points" automatically removed
points with low correlation.
Correlation is similarity, and it is not related to distance (in pixels).

By the way, this is an analogue scan, the result may differ from digital
photos.
The points could be placed on dust :)
[image: misplaced control points.jpg]

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 5:11:31 AM UTC+1 Groogle wrote:

> On Monday, 8 February 2021 at 21:28:45 -0600, dgjohnston wrote:
> > Before I use hugin I usually use DxO PhotoLab to correct for lens
> > and camera body distortion.
>
> Yes, I do that too.
>
> > Does anyone know if DxO uses the Brown-Conrady lens model for their
> > routines or anything similar?
>
> The DxO developers will know. Why don't you ask a question of
> support?
>
> Greg
> --
> Sent from my desktop computer.
> Finger groo...@gmail.com for PGP public key.
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers.
> This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program
> reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/945f95c1-1922-4281-bc79-4b6dbc8fad01n%40googlegroups.com.
  • [hugin-ptx] ... 'ChameleonScales' via hugin and other free panoramic software
    • [hugin-... T. Modes
      • Re:... 'ChameleonScales' via hugin and other free panoramic software
        • ... T. Modes
          • ... 'ChameleonScales' via hugin and other free panoramic software
        • ... Klaus Foehl
          • ... 'ChameleonScales' via hugin and other free panoramic software
            • ... 'ChameleonScales' via hugin and other free panoramic software
          • ... dgjohnston
            • ... Greg 'groggy' Lehey
              • ... Abrimaal
            • ... Klaus Foehl
              • ... Donald Johnston
  • [hugin-ptx] ... 'ChameleonScales' via hugin and other free panoramic software