The problem with matching hundreds of photos sequentially is that the view
drifts over time, so if you want perfectly stable output you need to keep
referring back to an anchor.

align_image_stack has the same interface as cpfind, but only works where the
images are nearly aligned already, this is not a issue with webcam footage that
is already closely aligned.

The main difference here is that cpfind characterises and compares features,
which works best when the photos were all taken at the same time, since this
characterisation is very sensitive to changes in lighting conditions.

align_image_stack just compares the pixel data for any feature that looks like
a 'corner' and shuffles the alignment to find the least-worst match, this is
much more robust when comparing photos taken over a period of weeks or between
night and day.

Perl is pretty similar to python if you ignore all the ::->~= stuff.

--
Bruno