Are you sure that working on a gray scale representation of the thernographys
looses information? Normally a thermocam has an 8-bit ADC, and allows to save
pictures in 256 different gray levels or alternatively using a palette that
provides 256 colors that are easier to distinguish visually. It also most
certainly comes with software that losslessly converts images from one of these
formats to the other. Ergo the correct workflow would be: Losslessly convert
the pictures to gray scale, then stitch them and then convert them to the fancy
colorful palette.