I will keep trying things.  But from what I've tested so far, that idea
doesn't work (Align within stacks and combine each stack before combining
the results into a panorama.)

A "similar" layout isn't nearly good enough.  The layout would need to be
near pixel perfect and I can't get close.  These are outdoors and the
ground gets compressed under the feet of the tripod as you work.  That
isn't the only source of error but it is a big enough source.  When you
repeat a panorama with a different focus, the alignment is poor.

I have temporarily concentrated on getting a Windows build of these tools
to work, because being able to modify the code can help my experiments even
if I make no permanent enhancements.

I will later get back to experimenting with saving and loading masks.
Seeing a saved mask should also give me more insight into what is happening
inside the tools and why that isn't doing the job for me.

I read all that documentation before trying any of this.