johnfi...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 4. Februar 2022 um 17:18:09 UTC+1:

> That version of the description was for those who might try to build from
> my branch, not for casual users.

Okay, then build you a version to testing and the final version for the
casual user is different from this one?

The tooltip inside the preferences dialog explains the main use.  The two
> notes on the side explained only the exceptions.  I would also edit the
> help text.

When it needs additional description for all features it is not
self-explaining. E.g. the third point was only explained in your mail, but
it not obviously for a casual user.

but most settings in hugin preferences are much harder for inexperienced
> users to understand.

But that does not mean to add new settings which are hard to understand.

>  But I think I started at better than average.

Your tool tip was:
Minimum magnifier scale relative to image zoom
and
0: no magnifier for zoom>=200%\n1: no magnifier for zoom>=scale

When you consider this better than average..