"I seem to remember that you can select more than one photo and it will
generate points just for that set"

Yes, this is also a useful way of adding a bias to an optimisation I think
- by adding in extra links for the less well correlated images, countering
the success of the better matches.

Also, sometimes, Hugin fails to find control points in large arrays.
Selecting subsets of images in the photos tab is a good way to force find
these control points.