If it is on the Mac: with the open source program I maintain I have learnt that
on hi-dpi ma s you can create low-dpi bitmaps (that are blurry) or bitmaps with
n times the resolution. Which means that a "640x480" bitmap with 3-fold
resolution claims to be 640x480, but needs to be filled with 3*640x3*480
pixels...