Thanks, Yves.

I'm using the version of Hugin that Debian Bookworm provides. I'm pretty sure the library got changed, too. Everything got upgraded.

I thought about where Hugin sets its color profile information. It copies it from one of the source images. I make the source images using RawTherapee, and think now that the way I was using color profiles might have provided a conflict. Several years ago, I had downloaded a big library of ICC profiles, unzipped them into a subfolder on my home folder, and was using them. I guess the one I was using had something wrong with it, the older software just ignored them, but the newer applications don't.

Oh, well. Still trying out various profiles in RawTherapee, looking for one that provides what I want without crashing Luminance after Hugin copies in the original profile...although I can turn that off in Hugin and see if it makes a difference.