Sounds promising. Points are valid but as an open source spin off there
could by forceful synergies in a wip branch.
Let's see where it lands eventually.

Den fre 23 feb. 2024 17:38'kfj' via hugin and other free panoramic software
<hugin-ptx@googlegroups.com> skrev:

> [...]
> roughly the same functionality as dcraw. OIIO is quite good at taking in
> parameters from outside. In lux, I simply pass parameters to OIIO and it's
> plugins through as strings, and OIIO parses them and passes the
> plugin-specific ones on to the plugin.
>
> Look at it in a different way: OIIO opens TIFFs just fine. There's noone
> stopping you from using the same workflow as ever, but you *could* also try
> and work from RAW directly. It's a new possibility to play with, to see if
> it opens up avenues which weren't possible before. It's an experiment.
> You're sure not killing the joy, and if you insist on keeping hugin the way
> it has always been - go ahead. My proposal - using a toolchain with
> modified pto_gen and cpfind, then autoopitimser and finally lux to stitch -
> doesn't even use hugin - it was dud...@gmail.com who proposed changing
> all of hugin.
>
> Modifying cpfind was the missing link for me to get a toolchain together
> which works in RAW entirely. A lot of my photography is in RAW, and I throw
> away the TIFFs after stitching because they take up a lot of space. With
> the oiio branch of lux I can now simply replace .tiff with .CR2 in the PTOs
> and stitch from RAW, because I used dcraw in the first place. And for my
> Samyang fisheye, I can even pass through chromatic aberration parameters...
> I find that a remarkable achievement.
>
> So it's not done with simply replacing the load image call with another
> library.
> The whole ecosystems needs to be adopted and you have to implement a lot
> of functions of a raw converter.
>

> No, you don't. They are already all there, and you simply pass the
> parameters you want. Again, here's the link to OIIO's libRAW plugin
> <https://openimageio.readthedocs.io/en/v2.5.8.0/builtinplugins.html#raw-digital-camera-files>
> , you'll see it's pretty much all there. And in lux you can simply pass
> these args on e.g. on the command line, like --oiio_arg=raw:user_flip=0
>
> IMHO there are dedicated raw converter better suited for these task. Hugin
> can already take care of some of them. This I consider a better solution,
> than to open Pandoras box and implement a lot of RAW converter features
> into Hugin.
>

> What the better solution is will show in time. I find a quick and easy
> option to work directly from RAW is a bonus, even if it takes some extra
> time to decode the images. If any of this turns out to be a good solution
> to adopt throughout the hugin codebase can't be decided now, but I wanted
> to show a path forward. Or will you go ahead and implement vigraimpex
> import plugins for e.g. HEIF and WEBP, to name but a few? Lux uses a fair
> bit of vigra, but I feel stuck now that nothing is happening with vigra
> anymore. My proposal is also about opening up an avenue to a large number
> of modern image file formats which vigra can't handle because noone there

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/CAHk3tqgNbid9GaQG0iE0g7%3D3V3xxUPWaM_j3Jq-f1o-EMCea1Q%40mail.gmail.com.
              • ... 'kfj' via hugin and other free panoramic software
              • ... dudek53
              • ... 'kfj' via hugin and other free panoramic software
              • ... dudek53
              • ... 'kfj' via hugin and other free panoramic software
              • ... dudek53
              • ... 'kfj' via hugin and other free panoramic software
              • ... 'kfj' via hugin and other free panoramic software
          • Re... 'T. Modes' via hugin and other free panoramic software
            • ... 'kfj' via hugin and other free panoramic software
              • ... dudek53
              • ... 'T. Modes' via hugin and other free panoramic software
              • ... 'kfj' via hugin and other free panoramic software
      • Re: [hugin... David W. Jones
  • Re: [hugin-ptx] cre... dudek53