Thanks, this works. My next problem is:

 "Maximum token length (4000) exceeded"

Which spot in the sources do I have to change in order to increase this limit? (I've unsuccessfully searched the hugs mailing lists for an answer)

iirc, this comes up with long string constants, such as the equivalent
of HERE-documents in shell scripts and program generators. if that is
the case, try splitting up the string. instead of

here = "poor man's \n\
          \here document\n\
          \in haskell\n"

use

here = unlines ["poor man's"
   ,"here document"
   ,"in haskell"
   ]

that way, you don't have to make your own incompatible version of
hugs, and haskell's string gaps don't buy you anything in readability anyway.

Ross: perhaps Hugs could use (++) internally to encode string gaps,
instead of trying and often failing to parse a monolithic string token?
(the max token length was extended in the past, but a fixed limit
will never do for all applications)

cheers,
claus