On Jan 9, 2007, at 22:35 , Claus Reinke wrote:

- The existing module used undecidable instances, a Haskell extension which is supported by GHC but not by Hugs.

??

as far as i recall, Hugs was the first Haskell implementation to bite the bullet and accept undecidable instances as a design option (although its
predecessor apparently also had the undecidability feature).

http://cvs.haskell.org/Hugs/pages/users_guide/class-extensions.html

are you thinking of interactions with other extensions, perhaps?

Sorry, my bad, that was confused. Some earlier comments from this thread to add to the confusion:

Sven Panne wrote:
Effectively removing Network.CGI from the Hugs community will probably break
more programs, so I'll vote for non-overlapping instances, too.

Ian Lynagh wrote:
Hugs compatibility is also important, though, and undecidable instances
are marked "probably no" for Haskell'.

The bottom line is that the instance:

instance (MonadTrans t, MonadCGI m, Monad (t m)) => MonadCGI (t m) where

needs both overlapping and undecidable instances, doesn't work in Hugs, and probably won't be Haskell'-compatible. However, the problem should be solved now, since that instance is no longer in the cgi package.

/Bjorn