Hi Peter,

On Feb 11, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Dr. Peter R. Rüßmann wrote:

Good evening,

I am pretty new in the Macs environment and my target is to install Hugs Haskell on this system. I have done this on a test machine via Darwin Ports following the descriptions found in the web.

Now my system administrator told me that this procedure is not suitable for the productive system, because Darwin Ports allows uncontrolled installation working out of the “usual rights context”. Therefore I have some questions:

I'm not sure what this "usual rights context" means. Macports (the new name of darwinports) allows installation in directories controlled by the user without root privileges. I know of at least one case where this is used by students to install ghc on their own systems. For a system-wide installation, hugs can be installed using root privileges through the sudo command, as in

        sudo port hugs98 install

I support hugs under macports, so you can copy your questions to me.

If you can specify more completely what the problem is, perhaps I can help.

Best Wishes,
Greg

1) Is there a more suitable way to overcome the mentioned Darwin Ports difficulties?

2) Did someone use Darwin Ports to install Hugs and solved the mentioned difficulties (perhaps using the sudo command)?

Thanks for your help, Peter