THE ATROCITIES AGAINST DALIT JUST SEEM TO GO ON AND ON

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Dalit-woman-paraded-naked-in-Punjab-1-held/articleshow/6320207.cms

BATALA (Punjab): One person has been arrested for allegedly parading a
Dalit woman naked in Punjab's Bhagwanpur village Aug 10, police said
on Monday.

According to the police, the woman was allegedly paraded by her
neighbours, who belong to an influential family.

"They forcibly took me to their house and thrashed me. Then they tore
my clothes and forced me to go round the village," the victim told
reporters.

The neighbours were angry as the victim's brother-in-law Gagandeep
Singh was having an affair with a girl from the family.

The accused also assaulted Gagandeep who has fled the village
following the attack.

"We have arrested Baldev Singh (father of the girl who was having an
affair with Gagandeep) and his interrogation is on. His son is still
at large," Rajesh Kakkar, investigating officer of the case, said.

"The victim had named two people in the FIR (first information report)
but there are others also involved in the crime. We hope to ascertain
their names during questioning of the accused," he said.

The victim's husband and father-in-law work in Bathinda and she was
staying in the village with her mother-in-law.

However, the victim alleged that the police refused to register a case
and told her to reach a compromise with the accused family.

Batala town is in Gurdaspur district, around 275 km from the state
capital Chandigarh.

--
Manjula Pradeep
Executive Director

--
Adv Kamayani Bali Mahabal
+919820749204

"After a war, the silencing of arms is not enough. Peace means respecting
all rights. You can’t respect one of them and violate the others. When a
society doesn’t respect the rights of its citizens, it undermines peace and
leads it back to war.”
-- Maria Julia Hernandez

www.otherindia.org
www.binayaksen.net