*UID: we do have doubts, concerns and confusion *******

AAKASH MEHROTRA ****

http://www.hinduonnet.com/op/2011/06/26/stories/2011062652861200.htm****

Interesting, isn't, when you have people asking for your identity or rather
say you are supposed to present your proof of existence. Doesn't it sound
like breaching into someone's personal life? A 12-digit number will decide
whether you remain a person or an unperson. Oh, I am not hinting at a sci-fi
movie, but referring to a biometric reality. Let me welcome you to the
‘Biometric Prison Planet.'****

Before I get into the aadhar of ‘Aadhar', I would like to present a fact
that this whole idea has faced heat all around the world. But Aadhar is not
just another ID card; it is a number, a number to tell you that you are in
fact you. With this article I would like to bring to light some of the jokes
that Aadhar is bringing to the fore. Well, let's start with the biggest joke
— the much-hyped bill was thankfully presented in Parliament in December
2010 and is yet to face the standing committee. Further, the strongest
resistance to Aadhar is coming from two eminent members of the National
Advisory Council, Jean Dreze and Aruna Roy. A mammoth project that would
lead to millions flowing out of the exchequer definitely needs to be debated
at the national level. It is a pity that though we are striving on to move
towards e-governance, we are missing on e-consultation.****

The sad part is that sooner or later we all will have a 12-digit
identification number pinned on our chests at the cost of our privacy. One
bold statement that has always been presented in defence of the UID (Unique
Identification Number) is that it is not mandatory; but ironically it is
ubiquitous. So far in India about 15 different types of ID work, but the UID
is projected to have the entire database of information of Indians. The real
fear is access to such a data would give the government a free hand to
profiling, segmenting and targeting a sect, group or religion. This could
lead to dangerous consequences. This data, if slipped into the hands of
corporates, could be used to serve various purposes.****

The UID promises to give the poor their identity, it is a tool for profiling
the beneficiary in the PDS, streamlining payments to be made under the
MGNREGS and enabling the achievement of targets under the Right to Education
or any such government scheme. Service delivery is what it guarantees. But
serious doubts have been raised about its being able to rationalise the PDS.
Going on the same line, the UID has been advocated as a tool for the poor to
avail themselves of the services of the PDS from any part of the country.
The distinct reality is that every PDS has a limited amount of ration with
it and will in no case be able to answer the numerous calls of migrants.
Another aspect being voiced in favour of the UID is its efficacy in
streamlining direct cash transfer to the poor by effectively segmenting the
poor and the needy. But whether it can really fill the lacunae of governance
is the real question.****

Apart from that, there is exactly no strong edifice of biometrics on which
this mega-structure is to be constructed. Patterns of iris change with age,
disease and health; fingerprints can easily be tapped and copied.****

Herculean task****

Moreover, the problem will come in reduplication of the structure. A
register of more than 100 million identities sounds a distant dream. It's a
herculean task to build such a colossal database. It is a critical piece of
information infrastructure that has to come in place. So far, the project
has seen less of IT and infrastructure building and more of politics.
Advocated as the biggest step towards social development, the project
requires efficient planning at the granule level.****

The UID is about convergence of silos of information. The biggest concern,
however, at my end is about human ethics — India is home to more than eight
million people with corneal blindness and many more have corneal scars and
many more suffer from cataract.****

Authentification of fingerprints is questionable — there are thousands born
without or have lost their hands; or even the workforce involved in manual
labour or agriculture has its fingerprints marred. The entire framework is
not in place and fails to answer how much of the data collected from
fingerprints will be authentic. We can suffer huge technology risks. No
question has been raised about the millions of homeless people or the
persons who come under the category of third sex, who may not opt to or may
not be able to give the information. The project fails to answer many such
questions. Questions can always be raised on the abuse of information
available with the government.****

Many developed countries have retraced their path on the project owing to
the issues of citizen privacy. The U.K had to repeal an Act of national
identity register following large-scale protests from the citizens. Hungary
and Germany look upon the project as a violation of privacy. Political
pundits in these countries have termed it the “national e-surveillance act.”
****

The government has shown sheer urgency in going for the UID project. If the
project fails to confront the various questions and doubts being raised, it
would hurt democracy. This is a dark joke making its rounds in the political
corridors with the idea of investing an identity in every citizen. It is
prudent at this stage for the government to have a frank debate on the
matter and to put in public the entire structure before it goes into
investing this enormous amount of money which could otherwise be used to
lift millions out of poverty.****

(The writer's email is trulyak...@gmail.com)****
****

Adv Kamayani Bali Mahabal
+919820749204
skype-lawyercumactivist
*
*
*The UID project i**s going to do almost exactly the same thing which the
predecessors of Hitler did, else how is it that Germany always had the lists

of Jewish names even prior to the arrival of the Nazis? The Nazis got these
lists with the help of IBM which was in the 'census' business that included
racial census that entailed not only count the Jews but also identifying
them. At the United States Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC, there is an
exhibit of an IBM Hollerith D-11 card sorting machine that was responsible
for organising the census of 1933 that first identified the Jews.*
*
*
*http://saynotoaadhaar.blogspot.com/*
*http://aadhararticles.blogspot.com/*