Dear friends across India,

   <http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_pharma_vs_indias_people/?bcNiEbb&v=24036>

   *In two days, India may sacrifice cheap medicines in a secretive trade
   deal
   with Europe.* A Parliamentary committee has advised against signing it
   and
   if we put trade minister Sharma in the spotlight, we can threaten his
   pro-poor image and *get him to defend our generic drug industry. Sign the
   urgent petition* and share it widely:

   [image: Sign the
   petition]<
   http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_pharma_vs_indias_people/?bcNiEbb&v=24036>
   *In two days, India's health could be sacrificed for a disastrous trade
   deal.* But we can still stop the government signing away the right to
   make
   and sell cheap medicines.

   *The India-European Union trade talks are highly secretive,* but a leaked
   draft shows that Commerce Minister Sharma could appease Europe's big
   pharma
   lobby and weaken our massive generic drugs industry. Sharma knows *there
   will be a scandal if everyone realises he’s about to make vital medicines
   unaffordable,* but hopes to sign on the dotted line before people notice.

   *Time is short* -- a Parliamentary committee has just advised against
   signing the deal, and if it isn't done when Sharma is in Brussels early
   next week, it’ll likely have to wait until after the elections. *Sign the
   petition calling on Sharma to stand up to big pharma,* or see his
   pro-poor
   image shattered. When 50,000 of us sign, we will deliver these signatures
   into the meeting in Brussels. Sign now:

   http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_pharma_vs_indias_people/?bcNiEbb&v=24036

   *Generic drugs are a massive Indian success story.* One generic cancer
   beating drug is sold in India for just a twelfth of the identical brand
   name version, and 80% of AIDS drugs used in developing countries come
   from
   India.

   But, if the India-EU trade agreement overturns Indian patent rules, big
   European drug makers can sue our generics manufacturers and freeze the
   supply of cheap medicines. Our courts have seen off European challenges
   --
   Sharma himself welcomed the recent Supreme Court decision to uphold
   generic

   The government claims the Free Trade Agreement will promote Indian
   business
   abroad, but *Europe looks likely to gain a lot more than India.* Almost
   70%
   of Indian farm exports and 65% of other goods already go to Europe duty
   free and several of Europe’s biggest manufacturers are already
   Indian-owned. The trade deal would also allow subsidised EU agricultural
   exports to flood the Indian market.

   Sharma feeds off his image of caring for the poor, and has won awards for
   his support to Africa. *Let’s remind him of his commitment and get him to
   stop this deadly deal* - sign now and share this with everyone:

   http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_pharma_vs_indias_people/?bcNiEbb&v=24036

   Avaaz members have come together to protect different parts of this great
   country before. We have won more information for poor people about their
   rights to healthcare. We have freed Indian workers trapped in the Middle
   East. Now we can protect everyone from dairy farmers to cancer patients
   in
   India, as well as people around the world who rely on Indian medicines.

   With hope and determination,

   Alex, Alaphia, Patricia, Luis, Meredith, Emma, Marie, Ricken and the
   entire
   team at Avaaz

   MORE INFORMATION

   EU-India Free Trade deal in final lap, diplomats say (EurActiv.com):

http://www.euractiv.com/global-europe/eu-india-free-trade-deal-final-l-news-517147

   The Enforcement Provisions of the EU-India FTA: Implications for Access
   Medicines (MSF):

http://www.msfaccess.org/content/enforcement-provisions-eu-india-fta-implications-access-medicines

   House Panel asks PM to defer signing of India-EU FTA (The Hindu):

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Economy/house-panel-asks-pm-to-defer-signing-of-indiaeu-fta/article4606855.ece

   Anand Sharma hails SC verdict on Novartis (Business Standard):

http://businesstoday.intoday.in/story/anand-sharma-hails-sc-verdict-on-novartis/1/193749.html

   Poll shadow looks over India-EU FTA (Times of India):

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Poll-shadow-looms-over-India-EU-FTA/articleshow/18393611.cms

   India may conclude talks on EU trade pact during April (Live Mint and The
   Wall Street Journal):

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/jkUr2nRTyX2QJOQYMt9HhI/India-expects-to-sign-trade-accord-with-EU-at-midApril-meet.html

--
Adv Kamayani Bali Mahabal
+919820749204

Hey folks, coined this term ” Kracktivism “, check out my blog
http://kractivist.wordpress.com/Kracktivism

Blog for girl child-  http://fassmumbai.wordpress.com/

Blog for Kashmir -http://kashmirsolidaritymumbai.wordpress.com/

Blog for KKM defence Committee-  http://kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com

https://twitter.com/#!/Kracktivist

https://www.facebook.com/kamayani

*I carry a torch in one hand
And a bucket of water in the other:
With these things I am going to set fire to Heaven
And put out the flames of Hell
So that voyagers to God can rip the veils
And see the real goal.......
Rabia (Rabi'a Al-'Adawiyya)
*