*All India Secular Forum*

The UP police arrested Yugal Kishore Sharan Shstri on 11th January.  He had
planned to organize a People’s Panchayat on the issue of attack on Shrine
of Sheesh Paighambar, which was attacked on 20 December 13. In this attack
a student Zeeshan was killed. The police arrest of Shastriji has been made
on the ground that he is ‘threat to peace and order’ in the city.

We understand that the arrest is the result of his sustained campaign to
expose the communal elements involved in the attack of shrine of Sheesh
Paighamar and murder of Syed Zeeshan alias Danish. The communal nature of
UP Government is becoming more and more obvious from quite some time. Its
handling of Muzzafarnangar violence and the relief has been a painful fact,
it’s a shame on our democracy, Samajvadi party claims to be secular but its
actions are very opportunist and communal.

Shastriji is a resident of Hanuman Garhi, Ayodhya and has been working for
communal harmony. He has been promoting communal harmony by organizing
Peace Yatras and local programs. We express our full solidarity with
Shastriji and condemn this action of UP Government.

L.S. Hardenia, Ram Puniyani, Irfan Engineer, Dr. Mohammad Arif

(All India Secular Forum)