*Secular Action Network*

*Newsletter of All India Secular Forum*

May 2014

*From the Editor’s Desk*

This month (April) we had the All India Convention, which was significant
for various reasons. It had large participation from the delegates all over
the country. Since it was being held in Varanasi, where the Prime
Ministerial aspirant from BJP is contesting, the concern was very much
more. Varanasi is the city which symbolizes syncretic culture and
traditions, while Modi stands for a sectarian narrow and divisive politics.
Most of the delegates pointed out that the threat of communalism is rising
and we need to intensify our efforts for peace and amity. In this direction
more efforts need to be undertaken like awareness programs, starting peace
centers in various places and setting up intercommunity committees.

In the din of election campaign the intolerant political elements have been
indulging in physical attacks on those who want to promote inclusive,
plural poltics. We condemn the attacks and abuses hurled on our friends
Shabnam Hashmi, Pratap Negi and Masood who were attacked. Shabnam and
Pratap were attacked by BJP goons, while Masood was attacked by MIM goons.
It is a sign of times that those who are holding such violent tendencies as
a part of their poltics are very dangerous for our democratic ethos.

All around, Academics and activists for democratic society are very
concerned about the rising threat of communal poltics in India. The
Corporate is standing solidly with the communal forces. The person who is
Corporate friendly and is the face of communalism in India is having
fascist potential, his aggressive stance in campaign and massive media
built up has put the real issues at the margins and a ‘make believe’ World
of development has been propagated, which is likely to influence the
voting. All the leading scholars and activist are warning against such
communal outfits.

The efforts for an inclusive, plural society need to be stepped up and
surley more friends are coming forward to be the part of secular-democratic
values in large numbers.

*C O N T E N T S*

*    Editorial*

*1. Forum News*

*     Report of AISF National *

*      Convention*

 *2. CSSS Activities*

     *TOT on Dalit Movement in India *

*      and Communalism*

*3. Article*

     *Rising danger of bigotry, *

*     communal divide   *

*    Pages from Histroy – Bbri Masjid *

*    demolition was a planned *

*   sabotage: Investigative report*

*4. Protest*

    *Press statement on attack on    *

*     Shabnam Hashmi*

*5. Press Release*

*6. Concern *

    *NRIs concerned about hate *

*     speeches in the lok sabha election*

*7. Interview*

*      Modi and US Visa*

*8. Book Review*

*9. Resources*

*Ph. 022-26149668,  022-26135098*

*E-mail: c...@mtnl.net.in <c...@mtnl.net.in>*

*Editor*: Ram Puniyani, ram.puniy...@gmail.com, www.pluralindia.com

 *Advisory Board*: L.S. Hardenia, Irfan Engineer, Dhirendra Panda, Mohammad
Arif.

Link

http://www.csss-isla.com/SAN-May-2014-new-1.pdf