https://www.dailyo.in/arts/shivaji-qutb-shah-battle-of-talikota-deccan-vijaynagara-empire-deccan-sultanates-indian-history-hindu-muslims/story/1/25213.html

--

Why Shivaji had Hindu enemies and Qutb Shah had Brahmin ministersAuthor
Manu S Pillai in his 'Rebel Sultans' decodes the black and white narrative
that emerges from an intense inferiority complex.
ART & CULTURE <https://www.dailyo.in/arts>
 |  ROUGH CUT  |  13-minute read |   01-07-2018
<https://www.dailyo.in/date/2018-07-01>
[image: Kaveree Bamzai]
KAVEREE BAMZAI
<https://www.dailyo.in/user/16/kavereeb> @kavereeb
<https://twitter.com/Kavereeb>

   - 470
   Total Shares

<https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https://www.dailyo.in/arts/shivaji-qutb-shah-battle-of-talikota-deccan-vijaynagara-empire-deccan-sultanates-indian-history-hindu-muslims/story/1/25213.html>
<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://www.dailyo.in%2Farts%2Fshivaji-qutb-shah-battle-of-talikota-deccan-vijaynagara-empire-deccan-sultanates-indian-history-hindu-muslims%2Fstory%2F1%2F25213.html&via=dailyo_&text=Why+Shivaji+had+Hindu+enemies+and+Qutb+Shah+had+Brahmin+ministers&original_referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyo.in%2Farts%2Fshivaji-qutb-shah-battle-of-talikota-deccan-vijaynagara-empire-deccan-sultanates-indian-history-hindu-muslims%2Fstory%2F1%2F25213.html>
<https://plus.google.com/share?url=https://www.dailyo.in/arts/shivaji-qutb-shah-battle-of-talikota-deccan-vijaynagara-empire-deccan-sultanates-indian-history-hindu-muslims/story/1/25213.html&title=Why%20Shivaji%20had%20Hindu%20enemies%20and%20Qutb%20Shah%20had%20Brahmin%20ministers&summary=Author%20Manu%20S%20Pillai%20in%20his%20%27Rebel%20Sultans%27%20decodes%20the%20black%20and%20white%20narrative%20that%20emerges%20from%20an%20intense%20inferiority%20complex.>
<https://www.reddit.com/submit?url=https://www.dailyo.in/arts/shivaji-qutb-shah-battle-of-talikota-deccan-vijaynagara-empire-deccan-sultanates-indian-history-hindu-muslims/story/1/25213.html&title=Why%20Shivaji%20had%20Hindu%20enemies%20and%20Qutb%20Shah%20had%20Brahmin%20ministers&summary=Author%20Manu%20S%20Pillai%20in%20his%20%27Rebel%20Sultans%27%20decodes%20the%20black%20and%20white%20narrative%20that%20emerges%20from%20an%20intense%20inferiority%20complex.>
<?subject=Sharing%20this%20story%20I%20enjoyed%20reading%20on%20DailyO%20with%20you&body=Message%20from%20the%20sender:%0D%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Sharing%20this%20story%20I%20enjoyed%20reading%20on%20DailyO%20with%20you.%0D%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20ART%20and%20CULTURE%20:%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Why%20Shivaji%20had%20Hindu%20enemies%20and%20Qutb%20Shah%20had%20Brahmin%20ministers%0D%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Author%20Manu%20S%20Pillai%20in%20his%20%27Rebel%20Sultans%27%20decodes%20the%20black%20and%20white%20narrative%20that%20emerges%20from%20an%20intense%20inferiority%20complex.%0D%0A%20%0D%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Copy%20and%20paste%20the%20below%20Url%20in%20new%20tab%20to%20view%20the%20story.%0D%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20https://www.dailyo.in/arts/shivaji-qutb-shah-battle-of-talikota-deccan-vijaynagara-empire-deccan-sultanates-indian-history-hindu-muslims/story/1/25213.html%0D%0A>

Manu S Pillai is one of the brightest young writers in India today. All of
28, he has already written a well-received account of the remarkable life
and works of Sethu Lakshmi Bayi, the last - and forgotten - queen of the
House of Travancore in *The Ivory Throne*.

Now in *Rebel Sultans: The Deccan from Khilji to Shivaji* (Juggernaut), he
focuses on the history of the largely ignored South to come up with
astonishing complexities and stunning insights.

[image: rebel-sultans_inside_070118015024.jpg]*Rebel Sultans, by Manu S
Pillai, Juggernaut Books*

As relevant now in the “age of immigration” as it was in the “era of
empire”, *Rebel Sultans* gives us a glimpse of history as it was, not as
simple binaries but as mixed-up bits of everything. So there is this
hypermasculine Alaudin Khilji who can have a deep love for his general
Malif Khafur, a Mahmud of Ghazni who can mint coins with Lakshmi's image
and Devaraya II who can build a mosque for the Muslims in his service.

Here, he is in conversation with Kaveree Bamzai on why the past was neither
a syncretic paradise, nor a zone of unrelenting conflict between
communities and religions.

As he says: "Whether we channel the lessons of history for better or for
worse, is our responsibility — choosing the worst and trying to blame it on
Babur and his “children” is a manifestation of insecurity. And in a country
as wonderful and historically endowed as ours, if insecurity is what we
descend to, we are writing ourselves a tragedy."

[image: shivaji_070118015038.jpg]*Vocabulary of power: There was a
Sanskritic notion and ideal of power, explained in Sanskritic terms and a
Hindu vocabulary, as envisioned by Shivaji*

*Rebel Sultans** tells us how wrong it is to box people into categories.
The evil Muslim, the hypermasculine Muslim and the good Hindu, the warrior
Hindu ruler. Yet as you say it is also true that there was a conception of
a Hindu state by Shivaji and an Islamic state by Ghazni. Nothing is simple?
Is it?*

History is a mosaic of colours, and trying to simplify it into a convenient
black and white is often the error we succumb to, in order to make sense of
this complicated country. Some go to one extreme — that the past was
entirely syncretic and cheerful, and that Hindus and Muslims swung hand in
hand in a kind of paradise, while others think Muslims blasted their way
into the Hindu garden of Eden and turned it into a graveyard of infidels.

Both are sentimental but unhistorical. These identities did not exist in
their modern avatar till very recently, and the supposed historic animosity
that has spawned a cottage industry today is of recent vintage, no matter
how elaborate an ancestry its proponents seek to construct for it.

The actual position is more complex. To begin with, there was no concept of
“the Hindus” and “the Muslims”— the Kashmiri Pandit had little in common
with the Tamil untouchable.

A Tamil Brahmin had no idea what a Namboothiri in Kerala next door might be
doing — where one wore his tuft of hair at the back, the other had it in
front; where one saw white as the colour of widows, the other had brides
who wore only white. So there was no uniform, homogenised community called
“the Hindus”, and same with the Muslims.

However, at the elite level — that is, where power, economic control, and
politics met — there could be Hindu and Muslim definitions and differences.

There was a Sanskritic notion and ideal of power, explained in Sanskritic
terms and a Hindu vocabulary, as envisioned by Shivaji, for instance.

And Muslim rulers had their own vocabulary of power, in which Islamic
ideals were elevated, as we see in the formal self-image of the Deccan’s
sultans. And at a time where the vehicle of expression was not nationalism
but religion, these were communicated in heady religious tones.

All of these helped project the formal self-image of these rulers and their
feudal states, but were not a reflection of communal undercurrents among
“the masses”.

If the Hindus were united en masse on one side and Muslims on the other,
why did Shivaji have Hindu enemies, and why did the Qutb Shah of Golconda
appoint Brahmin ministers?

If the 1565 battle between Vijayanagar and the Deccan’s Sultans was a
Hindu-Muslim clash, why is it that thousands of Marathas were fighting on
the side of the Sultans?

The point is that while the two religions informed different images of
power, in practice, politics was built on compromise, exchange, and an
acceptance of plural allegiances.

We see this clearly in the movement of the elites.

A poet like Kshetrayya, famous for his bhakti compositions, could find
patronage not only in Madurai and Tanjore, but also in the Sultanate of
Golconda. The same merchants supplied goods to Muslim courts as well as
Hindu states in the Deccan.

Most revealingly, there was no irony in a powerful emperor like
Krishnadevaraya marrying his daughter off to a man whose career began in a
Muslim court — or in a Muslim prince choosing to live in exile in a Hindu
kingdom.

A Hindu court was different from a Muslim court in its customs and forms,
but the guiding political motivations had very many overlapping points.
What guided actual conduct for all kings were the same things that guide
the politics today — strategic interests, economic heft, and mutually
beneficial alignments, without losing sight of the inherent rivalries that
existed between states, then as now. Religion might have helped express a
lot of it, but it was not the guiding force around which politics was
conducted.

[image: battle_of_talikota_c_070118015053.png]*1565 Battle of Talikota: Why
thousands of Marathas were fighting on the side of the Sultans? (Photo:
Wikimedia Commons)*

*Deccan was the centre of such trade in spices and textiles. Does that kind
of early globalisation explain the rise of Bangalore as India’s Silicon
Valley?*

Haha, I can’t say Bangalore and its IT boom is a direct descendant of the
Deccan’s Muslim and Hindu states, but yes, the principle of globalisation
as reflected in today’s Bangalore is not a new phenomenon.

The term is new, of course, and its pace, reach, and sheer scale
unprecedented.

But throughout history, human beings have shown an impulse to interact, to
exchange, and to meet one another on certain terms, as much as they
succumbed to quarrelling and inflicting violence on each another.

The Deccan is proof of that, as indeed are many other parts of the world:
Rome was founded by people who came from other places — to be a Roman meant
that you were a descendant of immigrants, as Mary Beard explains so well in
SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome.

So too, the Deccan was a magnet for immigrants of all kinds, whether it was
Persian Shias, Arab Sunnis, African military slaves, Caucasian harem
inmates, all of whom helped shape a society dominated and infused with
Hindu influence.

The Hindu side itself was tremendously diverse — a Telugu ruler over Tamil
country, Kannadiga artists and dancers serving in a Sultanate whose princes
came from northern India. This sort of mixing of cultures, people, ideas,
art, and more was a process that existed, in one way or another, throughout
history.

Of course there was violence too — when at the height of prosperity, we see
a flowering of culture and exchange; in times of crisis, people revert to
nativist impulses and there is a closing of space.

The question is, do we choose, now in the 21st century, to stew in
resentments born out of some centuries-old grievances? Or do we choose
those lessons of history that can take us to the heights of cultural
confidence, and help us evolve as a people? History’s lessons are clear —
which is perhaps why political groups prefer perverting history rather than
allowing a sincere, contextual understanding of it to prevail.

*So much of India’s pluralism is reduced to singularities in the
nationalistic discourse. How do we rescue it?*

By presenting the past to as many people as possible, making as much of an
effort to not succumb to prejudices and biases, both personal and political.

The issue we face now, the crossroads we must negotiate — people have had
to deal with similar issues in the past also. There is a lot we can learn
from them, if only the lessons of the past can be communicated well.

This hyper-nationalist, hyper-masculine black and white narrative that is
being almost force-fed emerges also, we must realise, from an intense
inferiority complex.

This inferiority complex is useful in politics because it invents
grievances and anxieties, helps channel the inferiority complex into an
aggressive form of hate, which then supplies dividends for its political
sponsors.

What we need to do is take a pause. If one were to look at history with
maturity — and I do believe there is an appetite for this, no matter how
many shrill voices scream atrocious things on Twitter every day — we would
discover that our past is not an ocean of resentments.

It is a magnificent tapestry, in which different threads were woven by
different people at different times. There was violence, but we had no
dearth of people able to rise beyond violence and leave behind something
bigger.

[image: manu_070118015123.jpg]*Author Manu S Pillai says the binary exists
in head, and must necessarily end in the head. (Photo: Twitter)*

*So many women like Chand Bibi are lost to history. Why is that?*

Women in general fare bad in history. I know this from the time of my first
book, *The Ivory Throne*, whose protagonist — a remarkable, singular
individual — was deliberaly written off by history.

Since you mention Chand Bibi, let me highlight her mother.

Khunza Humayun was a formidable woman who planned battles, reigned for six
years as regent for her son, and demonstrated marked ambition. In the end,
she was not only unseated by insecure nobles, but even her son decided to
try and expunge her from the record — there are miniature paintings where
she appeared with her husband (and in poems there are erotic descriptions
of her beauty), and her son actually got court artists to paint over her
and reduce her to a giant blot in the picture!

So there is the fact that the stories of women were not always told, and
that men often did their best to remove whatever traces of these stories
remained.

But the contribution of women is very real — so no matter how much you try
to wipe them out, the tales will survive. And some day or the other, voices
will emerge to tell those tales again.

*India, even Deccan which is not so well known, was a melting pot of races.
We are a nation of immigrants just as much as America? Isn't it?*

Melting pot is a cliché, but it is a cliché because it is true to a great
extent.

Again, not all the melting was cheerful and pleasant, but that is how
history was and we can sit and cry about it today or move on and look to a
happier future — power and violence went hand in hand in earlier days, but
do we want that to be our future as well?

And yes, we are a land where (as my ex-boss Shashi Tharoor says) everyone
is a minority.

You can try your best to construct a homogenised nation in which everyone
falls into one rigidly defined box, but the very essence, the cultural DNA
of this country is pluralism, and there is no getting away from that.

To homogenise, you will have to standardise and very soon impose — that is
merely a form of imperialism. What would be wiser is to accept that
difference and diversity is wedded to the soil of this country, and to
learn to embrace the richness this presents.

[image: vijayanagar_inside_070118015702.jpg]*The kings of Vijayanagar knew
they were different from Muslims, so they applied the word “Hindu”
consciously to themselves (Photo: Britannica)*

*What was the fascination that Hindu rulers had with Muslim sultans? You
talk of the Islamic network.*

Muslim kings were connected to an Islamic network that stretched from Egypt
and the Middle East into the far east (we even see a Thai king obsessed
with Persian culture).

This provided them access to manpower from across countries and cultures,
technology that might be born in Ottoman Turkey but could be quickly sailed
across the Arabian Sea to the Deccan, and a degree of cultural confidence
that came from being part of a mobile, flexible movement of sorts.

We must remember that these Deccan states thrived at a time when the Muslim
states were at their peak across the world, with Persia, Turkey, and the
rise of the Mughal empire in India.

We do find, in India for example, that Hindu kings could sometimes be at a
disadvantage in this situation.

So Vijayanagar always found that though it was larger and richer than the
Bahmani Sultanate, the Bahmanis (thanks to the ease with which they could
connect to the Islamic network of exchange) obtained better horses, better
artillery technology, latest upgrades in fortification strategies, and so
on. Then there was the reorientation of the political landscape itself that
the coming of Muslim kings and the idea of Islam sparked — the kings of
Vijayanagar knew they were different from Muslims, so they applied the word
“Hindu” consciously to themselves.

But they were equally keen to appropriate the title of “Sultan” which
reflected a new, advanced, highly successful kind of power and military
strength that was changing the political landscape.

So where the Bahmanis were Muslim Sultans, the Rayas of Vijayanagar called
themselves “Hindu Sultans”. To be sure, Muslim kings were also drawing from
the Hindus states — artists as well as warriors, architects and also
scholars.

It was a two way street, but given that the age was one (till the
Portuguese arrived) in which Islamic networks controlled international
commerce and exchange, Muslim kings had a relative advantage over Hindu
rulers. And in Vijayanagar at least, they were conscious of this and tried
themselves to tap into the Islamic network.

*So many binaries. Despots and democrats. Temple destroyers and temple
restorers. Good Hindus. Bad Muslims. Where do these end? And how can they
be resolved without violence.*

These binaries exist in our head more than in the reality of the past, and
are a product of our own narrow, limited worldview. So they must
necessarily also end in the head — which means we must open our eyes to a
more mature understanding of the past.

And that means we must read more good books, and more people should make an
effort to write the books that will set the record in the correct context,
reminding people that the past is not a playground for today’s political
anxieties, but a realm of its own, which helped make us who we are.

Whether we channel its lessons for better or for worse, is our
responsibility — choosing the worst and trying to blame it on Babur and his
“children” is a manifestation of insecurity.

And in a country as wonderful and historically endowed as ours, if
insecurity is what we descend to, we are writing ourselves a tragedy.

*Also read: Why a novelist within a novel, who rallied against Congress, is
disappointed with BJP's rise
<https://www.dailyo.in/arts/half-the-night-is-gone-amitabha-bagchi-juggernaut-bhagat-singh-conflict-between-populism-and-elitism/story/1/25176.html>*

ALSO*READ*

   -
   [image: Thomson reuters report, Patriarchy, Indian Women, Sexy Durga]

<https://www.dailyo.in/arts/sexy-durga-indian-women-patriarchy-thomson-reuters-survey-india-most-dangerous-rape-molestation-sanal-sasidharan/story/1/25228.html>
   [image: Mohd Asim]
   MOHD ASIM
   <https://www.dailyo.in/user/14537/mohdasim1>
   @mohdasim1 <https://twitter.com/MohdAsim1>
   S Durga reveals why India is so dangerous for women

<https://www.dailyo.in/arts/sexy-durga-indian-women-patriarchy-thomson-reuters-survey-india-most-dangerous-rape-molestation-sanal-sasidharan/story/1/25228.html>
   -
   [image: Rajkumar Hirani, Bollywood, Sanjay Dutt, Sanju]

<https://www.dailyo.in/arts/god-bad-and-ugly-of-sanju-highest-opening-day-collection-sanjay-dutt-vickey-kaushal-rajkumar-hirani-ak46/story/1/25210.html>
   [image: Palash Krishna Mehrotra]
   PALASH KRISHNA MEHROTRA
   <https://www.dailyo.in/user/31/palashmehrotra>
   @palashmehrotra <https://twitter.com/palashmehrotra>
   Why Sanju is a disservice to actor Sanjay Dutt

<https://www.dailyo.in/arts/god-bad-and-ugly-of-sanju-highest-opening-day-collection-sanjay-dutt-vickey-kaushal-rajkumar-hirani-ak46/story/1/25210.html>
   -
   [image: Plagiarism, Poetry, Music, Bollywood]

<https://www.dailyo.in/arts/bollywood-songs-entertainment-lyrics-plagiarism-ghalib-gulzar/story/1/25207.html>
   [image: Annie Zaidi]
   ANNIE ZAIDI
   <https://www.dailyo.in/user/1122/anniezaidi>
   @anniezaidi <https://twitter.com/anniezaidi>
   Tribute, inspiration, and theft: The curious case of Bollywood song
   lyrics

<https://www.dailyo.in/arts/bollywood-songs-entertainment-lyrics-plagiarism-ghalib-gulzar/story/1/25207.html>
   -

<https://popup.taboola.com/en/?template=colorbox&utm_source=indiatoday-dailyo&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=thumbnails-c:Right%20Rail%20Thumbnails:>
   by Taboola

<https://popup.taboola.com/en/?template=colorbox&utm_source=indiatoday-dailyo&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=thumbnails-c:Right%20Rail%20Thumbnails:>

<https://popup.taboola.com/en/?template=colorbox&utm_source=indiatoday-dailyo&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=thumbnails-c:Right%20Rail%20Thumbnails:>
   You May Like

<https://om.forgeofempires.com/foe/?ref=tab_row_mktdet&&external_param=72578964&pid=indiatoday-dailyo&bid=72578964>The
   Must-Play City Building Game this YearForge of Empires - Free Online Game

<https://om.forgeofempires.com/foe/?ref=tab_row_mktdet&&external_param=72578964&pid=indiatoday-dailyo&bid=72578964>

<https://www.farandwide.com/s/forbidden-destinations-398b80e7688c4c77?utm_campaign=forbiddendestinations-befb9e129a90430b&utm_source=tab&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=indiatoday-dailyo>15
   Forbidden Destinations You Can Never VisitFar & Wide

<https://www.farandwide.com/s/forbidden-destinations-398b80e7688c4c77?utm_campaign=forbiddendestinations-befb9e129a90430b&utm_source=tab&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=indiatoday-dailyo>

<https://www.coverfox.com/life-insurance/term-insurance/articles/factors-that-determine-your-term-insurance-premium/?network=taboola&category=april-how-to&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=indiatoday-dailyo&utm_campaign=april-how-to&utm_term=term_insurance>Calculate
   Your Term Insurance Premium and Find Out the Best Plans!Coverfox.com

<https://www.coverfox.com/life-insurance/term-insurance/articles/factors-that-determine-your-term-insurance-premium/?network=taboola&category=april-how-to&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=indiatoday-dailyo&utm_campaign=april-how-to&utm_term=term_insurance>

<https://talentedge.in/articles/certified-cyber-warrior-iiit-bangalore/?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=cyberwarriordesktop&utm_term=CCW-02-0918-01>Win
   the war against Cyber Crime with course from IIITBTalentEdge

<https://talentedge.in/articles/certified-cyber-warrior-iiit-bangalore/?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=cyberwarriordesktop&utm_term=CCW-02-0918-01>

<https://www.impactguru.com/fundraiser/help-little-riaa-kulkarni-4?utm_source=taboola1_desktop_Teens&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Riaa>Riaa's
   Tumor Is Growing While Her Family Struggles To Raise MoneyImpact Guru

<https://www.impactguru.com/fundraiser/help-little-riaa-kulkarni-4?utm_source=taboola1_desktop_Teens&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Riaa>

<https://www.workandmoney.com/s/10-minute-yoga-routine-3a7e2b5bfee54695?utm_campaign=10minuteyoga-9a83abbf7a144513&utm_source=tab&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=indiatoday-dailyo>7
   Yoga Poses To Do First Thing In The Morning [PHOTOS]Work + Money

<https://www.workandmoney.com/s/10-minute-yoga-routine-3a7e2b5bfee54695?utm_campaign=10minuteyoga-9a83abbf7a144513&utm_source=tab&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=indiatoday-dailyo>
   - [image: img]
   Select CountryAfghanistanAlbaniaAlgeriaAndorraAngolaAntigua and Barbuda
   ArgentinaArmeniaAustraliaAustriaAzerbaijanBahamasBahrainBangladesh
   BarbadosBelarusBelgiumBelizeBeninBhutanBoliviaBosnia & Herzegovina
   BotswanaBrazilBruneiBulgariaBurkina FasoBurundiCabo VerdeCambodiaCameroon
   CanadaCentral African RepublicChadChileChinaColombiaComorosCongoCosta
   RicaCote d'IvoireCroatiaCubaCyprusCzech RepublicDR CongoDenmarkDjibouti
   DominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEquatorial GuineaEritrea
   EstoniaEthiopiaFijiFinlandFranceGabonGambiaGeorgiaGermanyGhanaGreece
   GrenadaGuatemalaGuineaGuinea-BissauGuyanaHaitiHoly SeeHondurasHungary
   IcelandIndiaIndonesiaIranIraqIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaJapanJordan
   KazakhstanKenyaKiribatiKosovoKuwaitKyrgyzstanLaosLatviaLebanonLesotho
   LiberiaLibyaLiechtensteinLithuaniaLuxembourgMadagascarMalawiMalaysia
   MaldivesMaliMaltaMarshall IslandsMauritaniaMauritiusMexicoMicronesia
   MoldovaMonacoMongoliaMontenegroMoroccoMozambiqueMyanmarNamibiaNauruNepal
   NetherlandsNew ZealandNicaraguaNigerNigeriaNorth KoreaNorwayOmanPakistan
   PalauPanamaPapua New GuineaParaguayPeruPhilippinesPolandPortugalQatar
   RomaniaRussiaRwandaSaint Kitts & NevisSaint LuciaSamoaSan MarinoSao Tome
   & PrincipeSaudi ArabiaSenegalSerbiaSeychellesSierra LeoneSingapore
   SlovakiaSloveniaSolomon IslandsSomaliaSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSouth Sudan
   SpainSri LankaSt. Vincent & GrenadinesState of PalestineSudanSuriname
   SwazilandSwedenSwitzerlandSyriaTFYR MacedoniaTaiwanTajikistanTanzania
   ThailandTimor-LesteTogoTongaTrinidad and TobagoTunisiaTurkeyTurkmenistan
   TuvaluU SUgandaUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesUnited KingdomUruguayUzbekistan
   VanuatuVenezuelaViet NamYemenZambiaZimbabwe
   -
   -
   [image: Ranbir Kapoor, Sanjay Dutt, Bollywood, Sanju]

<https://www.dailyo.in/arts/sanju-bollywood-sanjay-dutt-ranbir-kapoor/story/1/25199.html>
   [image: Kaveree Bamzai]
   KAVEREE BAMZAI
   <https://www.dailyo.in/user/16/kavereeb>
   @kavereeb <https://twitter.com/Kavereeb>
   Why Sanju is a film in denial of its subject's flaws

<https://www.dailyo.in/arts/sanju-bollywood-sanjay-dutt-ranbir-kapoor/story/1/25199.html>
   -
   [image: Bollywood, Veere di wedding, Netflix, Kiara advani]

<https://www.dailyo.in/arts/lust-stories-kiara-advani-netflix-veere-di-wedding-bollywood/story/1/25198.html>
   [image: Suhani Singh]
   SUHANI SINGH
   <https://www.dailyo.in/user/106/suhani84>
   @suhani84 <https://twitter.com/suhani84>
   What Kiara Advani learnt from Lust Stories

<https://www.dailyo.in/arts/lust-stories-kiara-advani-netflix-veere-di-wedding-bollywood/story/1/25198.html>

#Sultan period <https://www.dailyo.in/tag/sultan-period/1/63011.html>, #Deccan
rulers <https://www.dailyo.in/tag/deccan-rulers/1/63010.html>, #Shivaji
<https://www.dailyo.in/tag/shivaji/1/14692.html>, #Indian History
<https://www.dailyo.in/tag/indian-history/1/13117.html>
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors
and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of DailyO.in
or the India Today Group. The writers are solely responsible for any claims
arising out of the contents of this article.
Writer