On Nov 12, 2009, at 8:48 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2009, at 4:57 PM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> >Maybe what we can do is using PLPA's functions if __GLIBC__ is <=
> >2 and __GLIBC_MINOR__ is < the first version which is known to be
> >correct or if CPU_SET can't be compiled, and rely on the glibc
> >functions else.  Of course we have to rely on glibc in any case for
> >pthread_setaffinity_np().
>
> That sounds good.  Even after glibc was fixed, "bad" versions of it
> were still in many already-installed machines for many years

And these had a minor number earlier than the fixed glibc, right?

Yes -- that's why I'm saying your plan sounds good.  :-)

The *only* weird possibility would be if RH (or Suse) patched their old glibcs to fix this problem but didn't update the minor number. Things like this have happened before; it's why I always prefer testing for behavior rather than version numbers.

But I don't quite know how to probe for this in the running glibc -- you *may or may not* encounter a problem if you have a size mismatch. Version number might be the best that we can do here. :-\

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquy...@cisco.com