Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Yes, if we weren't wanting to express contradictory things it'd be way
> simpler, but we want to.  I don't believe duplicating information will
> help the programmer to understand things.  For now, I can see three
> usage cases:
>
> - An application wants to bind itself somewhere.  That's what the
>   default configuration is meant for.
>
> - A global monitoring application wants to check which processors are
>   online/allowed and where applications are running etc.  That's what
>   the HWLOC_TOPOLOGY_FLAG_WHOLE_SYSTEM flag helps for.

Wait, does WHOLE_SYSTEM also toggle the ignoring of offline_cpus in
obj->cpuset? The documentation doesn't say so, but the code seems to
implement it. That would the best behavior.

By the way, lstopo --whole-system fails on my dual-core machine when
core#1 is offline and debug is enabled:
Propagate total memory up
1853: hwloc__check_children: Assertion
`hwloc_cpuset_iszero(remaining_parent_set)' failed.

Brice