On 9/14/2011 5:54 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:
Le 13/09/2011 22:06, TERRY DONTJE a écrit :
On 9/13/2011 9:54 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:
Le 13/09/2011 21:51, TERRY DONTJE a écrit :
Both type and model are character strings. An example of what I currently store in the sysinfo structures are:

type = "SPARC"
model = "SPARC64_VI"

Other values for model are "T1", "T2", "SPARC64_VII"...

What about Solaris on non-sparc machines ?

Looks like the type is an empty string and model is "i86pc" in one case.
These are basically values that come from calls to solairs sysinfo.

Type doesn't seem that helpful then. We already have the architecture (taken from uname) in the machine attribute.
Yeah, I guess Solaris is a little biased :-/.

I think you should just put model in the CPUModel info attribute. I wil do the same for Linux and add the vendor to "CPUVendor" when available, we'll get something like:
So you are saying to add the a CPUModel and CPUVendor info to a socket object as we discussed earlier, right?

CPUVendor=GenuineIntel
CPUModel=Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       M 620  @ 2.67GHz
or
CPUVendor=AuthenticAMD
CPUModel=AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6174
or
CPUModel=Alpha EV68CB
or
CPUModel=POWER7 (architected), altivec supported
or
CPUModel=Cell Broadband Engine, altivec supported
or
CPUModel=ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v71)
or
CPUVendor=SPARC
CPUModel=SPARC64_VI
Brice, I started actually working on the SPARC detect code and a couple things became obvious to me. First I really meant for CPUVendor to be CPUType ala SPARC, i386, Alpha, Power. And the CPUModel be the fully described model or brand-string like "SPARC64_VI", "AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6174", etc.

I really do not want to be using CPUVendor because SPARC is the Processor type not vendor or manufacturer and even though I could force CPUVendor to be SPARC but I feel we would regret doing so if ever we wanted to truly key off on the CPUVendor for SPARC type processors.

So can we go back to using CPUType and can you populate it with the type value instead of vendor?

In looking through my detect code I also figured recalled that it never was compiled on non-sparc machines thus the weird values I was quoting for CPUType and CPUModel for x386 based machines. I am going to rework the code so it produces correct values when ran under Solaris on both SPARC and i386 type processors. For i386 I expect to have values as such:

CPUType = i386
CPUModel = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       M 620  @ 2.67GHz

--
Oracle
Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631