I pushed big changes to the components in the last days (what came from
last month discussion + recent CPUModel feature requests).

Now we ombine information from multiple "cpu" backends. For instance the
x86 backend will add socket CPUModel to what native OS backends did.
Aside from xml/synthetic/custom excluding everything else, other
backends let others try to complete the topology if they have something
to add/annotate.

Only component management has changed. Their "pluginification" is still
the same as earlier.

Old "core" components are now called "disc" for discovery (that's all
they do, binding doesn't need to be componentified).

Instead of describing everything, here are pointers to the new
documentation:
https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/hwloc/browser/branches/components/doc/hwloc.doxy
Lines 1635-1725 for how it works from the user side
Lines 974-1011 for environment variables

The components branch has a ugly SVN history now. Hopefully SVN will
combine all that history into one single commit and nobody will see the
ugly components history (except people using git-svn maybe).

Brice