This has come up in multiple scenarios recently: when compiling OMPI (which
contains hwloc 1.9.1), you get a linker error complaining about a duplicate
symbol "Lhwloc1".

Peter (CC'ed) was looking into this, but it came up again today with Nathan
(also CC'ed).  He did some experiments with hwloc itself (outside of OMPI)
before Peter was able to, and determined the following:

- gcc 5.0 on OS X Yosemitie, compiling with -m32
- hwloc-1.9.1 tag in git: compile fails with Lhwloc1 dup symbol
- hwloc-1.10 tag in git: works fine
- master tag in git: works fine

My question is: have you see this Lhwloc1 dup symbol issue before?

I ask because on OMPI master, we can just upgrade to hwloc 1.10.  But in OMPI
v1.8.x, it's less attractive to upgrade -- it would be cool if there was a
simple fix that we could backport/patch the hwloc 1.9.1 in OMPI 1.8.x with the
fix.

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquy...@cisco.com