The email script doesn't run on GitHub.

We have a GitHub web hook that fires out to the Open MPI hostgator instance
(our web hosting provider). That fires up a PHP script (i.e., GitHub calls
https://...open-mpi.org/...php) and funnels it the information about the
commits that were just pushed to the branch.

The PHP script basically does:

git pull
git log ...
email << results_of_git_log

However, our HostGator instance is really tuned for *web hosting*, not *script
hosting*.  I've seen cases where the PHP script timed out / Host Gator killed
it because it took too long.

I wonder if that's happening here.

It might be time to move our gitdub.php script stuff to Open MPI's AWS
infrastructure, where no such disk and time limits exist...

> On Feb 8, 2017, at 10:24 AM, Brice Goglin <brice.gog...@inria.fr> wrote:
>
> FWIW, I didn't get the commit email either, and I am pretty sure it's
> not the first time it happens. There are no archives for this ML, do we
> have a way to see the logs of the emailing script that runs on github ?
>
> Brice
>

> Le 08/02/2017 16:19, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) a écrit :
>> On Feb 7, 2017, at 12:12 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquy...@cisco.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Fair enough, but the test itself is just a switch/case statement -- it's
>>> not an actual test to see if the system supports binding or not.  Hence,
>>> hedging the warning message a little seemed reasonable.
>> I see you actually reverted my commit (somehow I didn't get an email about
>> that -- I only noticed it by chance today on GitHub.com).
>>
>> 1. You reverted an actual grammar fix: "support" -> "supported".
>>
>> 2. I don't think that "likely" is bad to have.  Like I said above, the test
>> itself is just a switch/case test based on a hard-coded list of OSs.  The
>> test does not *actually* test to see if the system supports binding.  So
>> weakening the language a little to say "likely" is not necessarily a bad
>> thing.
>>
>> Sure, in some (most? all?) cases, the likelihood of not supporting binding
>> will be 100%.  But a) that doesn't mean the use of "likely" is incorrect,
>> and b) allows for the possibility of not supporting binding to be less than
>> 100% in some future / unpredicted system.
>>
>> "Always" (and words/phrasing like it) is a very, very strong word.  It
>> should be avoided when possible.

Jeff Squyres
jsquy...@cisco.com