This question was addressed offline while the mailing lists were offline.

We had things like hwloc_bitmap_set_ith_ulong() and
hwloc_bitmap_from_ith_ulong() for packing/unpacking but they weren't
very convenient unless you know multiple ulongs are actually needed to
store the bitmap.

We added new functions to ease things
(hwloc_bitmap_nr/from/to_ulongs()). They will be in the upcoming hwloc 2.1.

Brice