Hello,

On my VPS I tested my build of hwloc-2.9.2 by running lstopo:

./lstopo
hwloc: Topology became empty, aborting!
Segmentation fault

On a GCP n1-standard-2 a similar build (GCC 12.2 vs. 13.2) seemed to work:

./lstopo
hwloc/nvml: Failed to initialize with nvmlInit(): Driver Not Loaded
Machine (7430MB total)
   Package L#0
     NUMANode L#0 (P#0 7430MB)
     L3 L#0 (45MB) + L2 L#0 (256KB) + L1d L#0 (32KB) + L1i L#0 (32KB) + Core L#0
       PU L#0 (P#0)
       PU L#1 (P#1)
   HostBridge
     PCI 00:03.0 (Other)
       Block(Disk) "sda"
     PCI 00:04.0 (Ethernet)
       Net "ens4"
     PCI 00:05.0 (Other)

(from which I conclude my build procedure is correct).

At the suggestion of Brice Goglin (in response to my post of the same
issue to Open MPI Users), I rebuilt with '--enable-debug' and ran lstopo;
then I also ran

hwloc-gather-topology hwloc-gather-topology

The resulting lstopo.tar.gz and hwloc-gather-topology.tar.gz are attached,
as I was unable to recognize the underlying problem, although I believe it
could be a system issue, for my builds of OpenMPI on the VPS used to work
before a new OS image was installed.

Max