Kerstin Buchacker wrote:

> Does this happen to other people, too, or is it just me
> doing something wrong?

I just tested xterm-158 on my machine, it seems everything works for me.

This is the detail:

RedHat 7.1 with XFree86 4.1.0 updates from RawHide.  But
    /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2
is the one I have to recompile from current CVS.  This is
because I needed the UTF-8 XIM and BIG5 bug fix.

On the WIM server, I tested miniChinput.  It is my modified
RawHide version.  The modification I made is to get it
to work with UTF-8 locale and fix a few bugs.

Also, I patched xterm-158 to add support of displaying proportional
TrueType font correctly.

With all this, I can input both simplified and traditional Chinese
without any problem.

What is not working correctly is that under ksh, 'BackSpace' delete
only half of the Chinese character.  But VIM 6 does not have this
problem.  Both cursor and delete work correctly under VIM: cursor
will reverse underline single width or double width characters correctly
and delete will remove single width or double width characters correctly.

So at least I have pretty good UTF-8 experience.

Regards,

Yao Zhang