Around 23 o'clock on Sep 28, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> We're aware of that (Tifinagh is the example I like to give).  The
> point Keith was making (if I understood him correctly) was that core X
> fonts should only be used for glyphs covered by legacy encodings.  For
> new glyphs, client-side fonts (Xft or otherwise) should be used
> instead.

Juliusz is mostly correct; the problem is that any fonts encoded in
iso10646-1 must be opened and queried before an application can discover
which glyphs are available.  It is the only common X encoding in use today
that has this property.  For any other encoding, fonts are expected to
provide the complete repertoire of glyphs.  If we use iso10646-1 encodings,
we'll avoid this particular issue.

XLFD has no standard mechanism for specifying which glyphs are available.
As it was developed before Unicode, there was no concept that a font
wouldn't encode every glyph.

I believe that iso10646-1 encoded fonts can only be effectively used from
the client side; a database can accompany the fonts themselves allowing
applications to perform font selection based on available glyphs.  I hope
to finish work on Xft in the near future which demonstrates how this works.

Any way of making iso10646-1 fonts work reasonably will require a change
in the X server.  As any such change takes essentially the same amount of
time to propogate to all X servers, we might as well use the one which
solves a host of other issues at the same time (Render).

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        XFree86 Core Team              SuSE, Inc.