TK> I started to use xterm+luit in ja_JP.eucJP locale for my daily use

Tomohiro, you've made my day.

TK> Though I don't know Juliusz will like it, I am planning to use a
TK> small subset of Markus' SCW proposal, i.e., only

TK>    CSI 1 w

I have absolutely no objection.  What I do insist on:

  - single shifts only;
  - prefix (rather than Unicode-style suffix) sequences.

This is not only a luit matter.  Luit was designed in order to keep as
much complexity as possible outside of XTerm; by implementing
something as complex as Markus' proposal in XTerm, you'd be sort of
destroying the whole purpose of luit.

I would be glad to hear an opinion from Thomas Dickey and Frank da
Cruz.

                                        Juliusz