MA> If I use a font like -*-fixed-*-*-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1, how can I
MA> trace this to particular font files like /usr/share/fonts/?.pfa?

You cannot.  Which font exactly will be chosen for an under-specified
pattern such as the above depends on a myriad of factors, including
the server version.

Actually, due to bugs in previous versions of the X server, even if
you choose a fully-specified but not overspecified specification, such
as

  -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-p-*-iso10646-1

the chosen font may under some circumstances depend on the version of
the X server.

MA> Also, how are these iso10646 fonts usually encoded? Are these
MA> fixed ones bitmaps?

Yep.  Other Unicode fonts may be TrueTypes or CIDFonts.  (We do not
support generating core Unicode fonts from Type 1 or Speedo.)

                                        Juliusz