Hi

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Asaf wrote:

> I am trying to configure my X server to work with 3 languages: English,
> Hebrew and Arabic.

Yes, this is the right list.

> I found here and there xkb files which map keys to English/Hebrew or
> English/Arabic keyboard, but Idon't know how do I combine the two of
> them, so that I will have support for three languages at the same time.
> I did find a file that supports three languages at once (English, Rusian
> and Latvian), but the way it does so, is to defined all the three
> languages at one file, that means that the table of xkb_symbols contain
> three groups at once.
> I find this inconvenient. I believe that there is a better way to
> combine maps from different files.
> What I need is a simple way to switch from English to Hebrew to Arabic etc.

There should be. Hopefully there will be, one day. But here is something
that can work *now*:

Here is something to try:

sed -e 's/\[Group2\]/\[Group3\]/' -e 's/{ \[  \]/{ \[  \], \[  \]/'
/path/to/symbols/ar >ar3

This should create a file 'ar3' (I tried it only on 'ar' from the CVS,
maybe it won't work with older copies.

e.g:

partial default alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "basic" {
    name[Group3]= "Arabic";
    key <TLDE> { [  ], [  ], [     Arabic_thal,      Arabic_shadda   ]  };
    key <AE01> { [  ], [  ], [               1,          exclam      ]       };
    key <AE02> { [  ], [  ], [               2,              at      ]       };
    key <AE03> { [  ], [  ], [               3,      numbersign      ]       };
    key <AE04> { [  ], [  ], [               4,          dollar      ]       };
    key <AE05> { [  ], [  ], [               5,         percent      ]       };

Put this file in /usr/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/ with the rest of the symbols
files

Now set your Xkb options to:

symbols: en_US+il+ar3

e.g:
  Option "XkbSymbols" "en_US+il+ar3"

in XF86Config

Maybe setting "option" to "il+ar3" will also work, e.g:

  Option "XkbOptions" "il+ar3"

If it'll work, it will probably be cleaner.

Notes:

1. All of this is untested
2. This is a hack, but if anybody has a better alternative that works
   *now*, I'd like to hear it.

> I could not find anyway a detailed documentation about the format of the
> symbols configuration files.

A partial Englih version:

  http://www.tsu.ru/~pascal/en/xkb/

A more complete version (in Russian):

  http://www.tsu.ru/~pascal/other/xkb/

--
Tzafrir Cohen                        /"\
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]        \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign