Hi,

At 20 Mar 2002 16:25:55 +0000,
Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> This is a known issue.  Note that it is not peculiar to luit: the same
> is true of kterm, which is why the kterm terminfo does not include ACS
> capabilities.

kterm supports ACS, just as I wrote (will write) below.

> TK> The root of this problem is the definition of terminfo capabilites
> TK> of enacs, smacs, and rmacs which conflicts with EUC encodings.
> TK> How can we change the definition?
>
> Very simple.  We need to change the definition of xterm to use VT 220-style
> ACS.  Namely
>
>   :smacs=\E(0:rmacs=\E(B:
>
> (enacs is not needed).  This will work for all locales that put ASCII
> in G0 and point GL at G0 -- which includes all locales used on modern
> Unices.

I think this way is much better and works perfectly without
confligting with all major encodings.

Indeed, I found that "TERM=kterm" uses it!  Thus kterm supports
ACS.

> Additionally, we need a new definition for ``xterm with no ACS'' for
> encodings that do not satisfy the above condition (e.g. ISO-2022-JP).
> This is quite simple to add:
>
> xterm-nacs|xterm without alternate characters:\
>         smacs@:rmacs@:enacs@:tc=xterm:

Sure.  Strictly speaking, it is needed.  However, very little people
will need this, I think.  (If it were needed by a certain amount of
people or by some major encodings, we would need not only "xterm-nacs"
but also "xterm-color-nacs", "xterm-r6-nacs", "xterm-xf86-v*-nacs",
and so on so on.  However, I think it is not realistic idea.  We are
happy because kterm-type enacs/smacs/rmacs can work well with all
major encodings.)

> I have been arguing for these changes to be made to ncurses for months
> (since the first releases of luit), but Thomas is afraid of what they
> might do to backwards compatibility.  I would suggest that you take it
> up with him.

I checked term-type enacs/smacs/rmacs works well for many terminal
emulators.

$ xterm (or other terminal emulator)
$ cat some-8bit-file (confirm that both of  GL and GR characters
  are displayed properly)
$ TERM=kterm dialog --msgbox foobar 8 20 (this uses enacs/smacs/rmacs
  to display line-drawing characters.  Checks the line-drawing
  characters are displayed well.)
$ cat some-8bit-file (confirm that usage of enacs/smacs/rmacs does
  not break GL or GR)

I checked xterm, kterm, hanterm, rxvt, eterm, aterm and all of them
works well (it can display line-drawings, and, more importantly,
GL and GR are not destroyed by enacs/smacs/rmacs).

gnome-terminal could not display line-drawing characters.  Howevre,
it is not as a severe bug as garbage characters for GL or GR.
Anyway, I think gnome-terminal is responsible to fix this bug.
I think ncurses should not hesitate to adopt kterm-type enacs/smacs/rmacs.

On the other hand, mlterm http://mlterm.sourceforge.net implements
proper ISO-2022 parser and this causes garbage characters.  Thus,
it is a present problem, not a future problem with future xterm+luit.
Thus, I hope this situation will be fixed as soon as possible.

And more, I think that leaving enacs/smacs/rmacs definition will
mislead terminal-emulator-developers.

Thomas, could you please change enacs/smacs/rmacs definition
for "xterm" just as Juliusz has reported?

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/