Kaixo!

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 12:06:33AM +0100, Nilgün Belma Bugüner wrote:

> We have problems with the X keyboard. Alphanumeric keys under
> CapsLock and CapsLock+Shift produce incorrect values.

I suppose it is only the case of the i with dot and the dotless i,
not all alphanumeric keys.

The problem is not limited to turkish, but happens also with azeri
and any other language that has those two kind of "i".

Instead of playing with extra groups in the xkb definition files, a much
cleaner solution would be to define the proper case pairs to
be i/Iabovedot and dotlessi/I for the capslock behaviour.

There has been a thread on that topic in the past; maybe someone having
followed it more closely than I did could tell you what was the proposed
solution.

> To fix the problem we need to change not only the tr symbol file, but
> make a few small changes in the system:
>
> We need a symbolic link for locale directories under /usr/lib/locale:
>
>   ln -s tr_TR.utf8 tr_TR.UTF-8

That is not related to the keyboard; but is simply a mismatch between
the glibc locale name and the X11 locale name.
If you had a glibc name being "tr_TR.UTF-8" there would be no such
problem.

> /etc/X11/xkb/compat/iso9995 file needs following mods:
>
>      interpret ISO_Next_Group {
>           useModMapMods= level1;
>           virtualModifier= AltGr;
>   -       action= LockGroup(group=+1);
>   +       action= LockGroup(group=+2);
>       };

Why ?

Note that such change will affect all languages and locales, it is however
unlikely to be accepted as it will break support for all other languages
and keyboards...

> For users of Turkish Q keyboard:
>
>   cp tr_q tr
>
> For users of Turkish F keyboard:
>
>   cp tr_f tr

That is a quite dirty solution.
Better would be to use the right name in the XFree config file, instead
of using a single name for two different keyboard layout and playing
with file name changes.

--
Ki ça vos vċye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga