Markus Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote on 2002-04-30 21:08 UTC:
> > Given that en_US.UTF-8 is the only instance of a locale file with UTF-8
> > in its name,
>
> In Xlib, yes. This should be extended, I think.

At least for European locales this isn't a problem... as
long as a locale uses the same character sets for rendering
and the same compose sequences it can get the same locale
under Xlib... Xlib doesn't care about paper size, currency,
etc.

And the locale.alias file aliases lots of of other locales
to the en_US.UTF-8 directory, so you can use those locales
with Xlib.

There are other problems with the exact definition of the
en_US.UTF-8 locale, the fact that we don't have separate
UTF-8 locales for CJK languages, and the matching algorithm
for selecting locales that Xlib uses. (It needs an exact
match, and there are different ways of spelling UTF-8,
so you need a lot of aliases...)

But just because the directory is called en_US.UTF-8
doesn't mean that Xlib is going to steal your A4 paper.

Regards,
                                        Owen