JS>  Thank you for the kind explanation. I'll refer to your answer to
JS> make my case for keeping FIRSTINDEX intact font encoding files in
JS> RedHat 7.x stronger.

Note that the next version of RedHat will likely use mkfontscale ra-
ther than their hacked version of ttmkfdir, so the problem should go
away.

(For the record, the problem with FIRSTINDEX is not due to Joerg's
ttmkfdir, but rather to RedHat's specific version thereof.  Apparent-
ly, the RH maintainers chose to remove all FIRSTINDEX entries rather
than fixing their bug.)

                                        Juliusz