TK> You mean, is->other should be a fifth slot (G0, G1, G2, G3, and other)?

Yes.  is->other should be a pointer to a Other charset.

TK> And, I don't know how 'return to previous charset' escape sequence.
TK> Does ISO-2022 or luit have save/load or push/pop behavior on charsets?

Here's my understanding of the ISO 2022 ``other'' model.

If is->other is NULL, we're doing ISO 2022.  An escape sequence may
then invoke a non-ISO 2022 charset, in which case is->other becomes
non-NULL.

In non-ISO 2022 mode, ISO 2022 sequences are invalid; however, there
may be an escape sequence called ``return to previous'', which is
simply implemented as setting is->other to NULL.

As you see, there's no need for a stack of charsets, a single
is->other field is enough.

TK> Do you think ISO-2022 escape sequences and control characters should
TK> be valid in GBK and other non-ISO-2022 encodings?  (I think both way
TK> have their merits and demerits and I don't have strong opinion on
TK> which is better.)

Only insofar as is needed for Emacs compatibility, IMHO.

TK> On what purpose ISO-2022 parser should be reentrant?

Hack value.

                                        Juliusz