Hello,

I just undertook the crazy task of trying to write an X keymap for a
french variant of the Dvorak keyboard ( where the letters are laid out
according to their usage in the french language ) :
http://www.algo.be/ergo/dvorak-fr.html

My first attempt consisted in modifying the output of Xmodmap.
However, this is probably not the Right Thing To Do if I want my
driver distributed. I guess I would have to write an XKB keymap  for
that purpose.

Moreover, the keymap requires the use of a modified dead key, eg:
dead_grave and "d" are supposed to produce a dollar sign ($), which is
not a common behaviour.

With all my good will, I could not find anywhere where to redefine
dead keys.

I also figured out that the keymap code in XFree is far, far from
trivial. I would like to understand it, but I could not find the
corresponding documentation anywhere.

Could someone please point me to the right documentation ?

Thanks a lot,
--
Thomas Tempe,
Protect your privacy! Encrypt your mail! Use GPG!

Systematic preventive privacy-invading personal data recording
is strictly useless at stopping evil anti-american terrorists
without systematic preventive goulag.
http://www.stop1984.org