On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Markus Kuhn wrote:

: There is nothing wrong in principle with adding new keysyms, however the
: integer number associated with new keysyms for which there is an
: equivalent Unicode U-00xxxxxx character MUST be 0x01xxxxxx, because
: we do not want to let the keysym table grow needlessly (to more than
: 60000 entries). However, since keysyms are never visible to anyone but
: people who write keyboard layout tables, it is a senseless exercise
: to add new ones, so we stopped it entirely and now consider keysyms
: merely to be a frozen pre-Unicode era artifact. Keysyms will only be added
: for keyboard keys, for which it is unlikely that there will ever be a
: good equivalent in Unicode.

The Syriac keyboard is dependent on several Arabic and Latin characters
-- for example, Arabic-Indic numbering, plus, minus, Arabic shadda to
name a few.

Would be it safe to assume that those charactes should be assigned a
unicode codepoint instead of directly going to keysymdef.h? If
Arabic_comma is already defined as a keysym, should I ignore it and go
with its equivalent in Unicode?

Another question I have is, what is the difference between Group1 and
Group2 keyboard layouts as defined in xkbcomp/symbols/pc/ and
xkbcomp/symbols/? Should I create a layout for both Group1 and Group2?

Thank you for answering my questions and appeasing my curiosity.

--
Emil Soleyman-Zomalan