On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 09:59:39AM -0800, Hideki Hiura wrote:
> > From: Theppitak Karoonboonyanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > * Should the client return the string in reversed order?
>
> No.
>
> Sorry for the confusion due to the vague definition. I do not have any
> implication on the order of the string to be reversed in the case of
> backward retrieval when I wrote the specification.
> The order of the string retrieved should always be in the logical
> order in the client buffer.

OK. Thank you for the clarification.

> > 2. XIMStringConversionSubstitution
> >
> > * How can the input method know if the client supports only Retrieval,
> >   but not Substitution?
> >
> >   Some applications, such as terminal emulators, may choose to support
> >   only Retrieval, but not Substitution. And the input method should not
> >   try to mess up the buffer in that case. Does the protocol define
> >   the XIMStringConversionCallbackStruct::text to be set to NULL by the
> >   client in that case?
>
> Unfortunately, it is not assumed that the
> XIMStringConversionCallbackStruct::text to be set to NULL.

All right. So, I may have to redesign the input method scheme.
In fact, we have levels of restrictions in Thai input method, and the
Substitution I designed would be optional for each level (as alternative
to mere rejections of key events).

> In the case of terminal emulators you mentioned as an example, there
> won't be reliable case to support the String Conversion feature
> by terminal emulator itself, since a terminal emulator does not
> hanlde the clent buffer itself: it belongs to the apps running
> in the terminal emmulator.

Yes. I realize this. And there's no reliable way further than that to
access buffers of the apps on the terminal. So, context-sensitive input
method seems impossible for the case. But peeking the terminal emulator's
screen buffer read-only does help in filtering out illegal sequences
(although it doesn't work well in case the app is running on a remote
session through delayed network).

> If the client supports retrieval via string conversion, it is assumed
> that the client has direct access the buffer thus it is also assumed
> to have the operation to substitute.

OK.

Does this mean we need to have some input method protocol for
console-based applications? (quite off-topic, sorry)

Thank you,
-Thep.
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan