Hi Jon,

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:49:34 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Is i2c_adapter.class relevant anymore with new style drivers?

No, it's not. The class is meant to limit the probing scope of
legacy i2c chip drivers. New-style i2c chip drivers shouldn't care.

Note that these classes aren't going away anytime soon though: some
chip types just have to be probed (e.g. hardware monitoring chips or
EEPROMs on PC motherboards) so even if these drivers are eventually
converted to new-style i2c chip drivers, some (possibly external)
probing will still be necessary, and the class will be there to limit
the scope of this probing.

> On 1/2/08, Jochen Friedrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > IMHO, there should be a node attribute to override
> > i2c_adapter.class. Legacy i2c drivers (in particular v4l and dvb
> > drivers) use this class to decide which adapter to bind to.
> > dbox2 needs I2C_CLASS_TV_DIGITAL (4).

I am fine with a node attribute allowing control of this attribute,
that could be handy for testing and debugging purposes. If someone
submits a patch implementing this, I'll review and merge it.

--
Jean Delvare