On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Jon Smirl wrote:
> >  >  drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-elektor.c       |    2 +-
> >  >  drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-gpio.c          |    2 +-
> >  >  drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-i801.c          |    2 +-
> >  >  drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-ibm_iic.c       |    4 ++--
> >  >  drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-iop3xx.c        |    2 +-
> >  >  drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-isch.c          |    2 +-
> >  >  drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-mpc.c           |    2 +-
>
> Freescale embedded, no sticks

I know you're wrong about this one, because I have a Freescale board with
an mpc i2c adapter with SPD SODIMMs on the I2C bus sitting right in front
of me.  The whole reason I added hexdump support the I2C tools' SPD parser
was so I could parse the SPD data by hexdumping the eeproms with busybox.

Using SPD with embedded boards isn't uncommon.  It's much easier to design
a board with a SO-DIMM slot than actual chips.  In small quantities at
least, it's cheaper too.  Using SPD is much more flexiable when you want to
change memory size or speed, even if the memory isn't socketed.  If you
look at U-Boot, most platforms are using SPD for DRAM controller setup and
not hard coded values.