On 7/15/08, Jean Delvare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:14:06 -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>  > Hi, Jean,
>  >
>  > > I am looking at this patch of yours:
>  > >
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=3db633ee352bfe20d4a2b0c3c8a46ce31a6c7149
>  > >
>  > > I believe that no locking is needed in i2cdev_open(). Do you have any
>  > > reason to think it does? If not, can I simply revert this patch?
>  >
>  > Before now, i2cdev_open() has always had the protection of the BKL.
>  > When I pushed that locking down into the individual open() functions, I
>  > really had to take a pretty conservative approach and assume that the
>  > BKL was needed unless that was really obviously not the case.  In
>  > i2cdev_open(), for example, there's:
>  >
>  >       i2c_dev = i2c_dev_get_by_minor(minor);
>  >
>  > and I really don't know what keeps *i2c_dev from going away during the
>  > rest of the call.  I'm *not* saying there is a problem here; I just
>  > don't know.  So the only thing I could really do is to push the BKL
>  > down and let the maintainers sort it out.
>  >
>  > ...all of which is my long-winded way of saying that, if you're
>  > convinced that i2cdev_open() is safe in the absence of the BKL, feel
>  > free to take it out.
>

> Good point. i2c_dev is guaranteed to stay thanks to the call to
>  i2c_get_adapter(), however it happens _after_ the call to
>  i2c_dev_get_by_minor(), so without additional locking, this is racy.
>  That being said, I'm not sure how lock_kernel() is supposed to help. Is
>  the BKL held when i2cdev_detach_adapter() is called? If not, then I
>  suspect that the current code is already racy.
>
>  I'll look into this, thanks for the hint.

Is i2c-dev vulnerable to the i2c device disappearing, for example
rmmod it? Would combining i2c-dev into i2c core and integrating it
with the core's lock protection make things easier to lock? You could
make a compile time option to remove it for small systems. If it's in
the core is attach/detach adapter still needed? I haven't looked at
any of this in detail, but i2c-dev is only 6K of code. Half of the 6K
might disappear if integrated into the core.

What happens if user space and an in-kernel user both try using the
device? I've never tried doing that. Should the presence of an
in-kernel user make the user space device disappear?

--
Jon Smirl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]