Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 02:43:22 -0700 (PDT), David Miller wrote:
>
>> i2c-pcf: Add adapter hooks around xfer begin and end.
>>
>> Some I2C bus implementations need to synchronize with external
>> entities, such as system firmware, which might also be programming the
>> same I2C bus.
>>
>> In order to facilitate this add ->xfer_begin() and ->xfer_end() hooks
>> which are invoked around pcf_xfer().
>>

> I get the idea, but I'm not sure about the implementation. I had a
> request several months ago for something similar for the i2c-algo-bit
> driver. I don't think we want to duplicate this mechanism in every
> i2c-algo driver, so it would probably make sense to implement it
> at the i2c-core level?
>
> Michael, do you still need this for i2c-algo-bit? We did not discuss
> this again recently, so I admit I don't know what is the status of this
> request.

Jean,

Yes, the problem still exists, and I still need a way to lock the i2c
adapter during certain volitile operations at driver start-up.

Right now I have an artificial delay in place as a workaround, but
that's only because there currently is no other choice.

Basically, I have a single piece of silicon that is capable of bringing
down the entire i2c bus if somebody attempts to communicate with any
other IC during initialization of this silicon.

Regards,

Mike