For what it's worth, an answer that bypasses your question:

For most of my browsing tasks, I use dwb
(http://portix.bitbucket.org/dwb/) nowadays. I figured that I prefer
to have my window manager to take care of window/tab management over
some inconsistent and extraneous implementation. There are
some rough edges with sharing cookies among different instances of
the browser and sharing history etc., but those are most likely
due to part of my lack of interest to configure it correctly.

Cheers,

        Joep