Apologies if these ideas have been considered before:

I'd love to see the ability to layout windows by dragging them, similar to
the way Eclipse (the IDE) does it:
- You can drag a window into any container.
- Dragging towards the left or right of the container causes it to split
horizontally and place the window to the left or right.
- Dragging towards the top or bottom of the container causes it to split
vertically and place the window above or below.
- Dragging towards the middle of an untabbed container creates a tabbed
layout and places the window in a new tab.
- Dragging to the tab bar of a tabbed container places the window in a new
tab.

I realize i3 isn't meant to be mouse-oriented, but this would make window
re-organization more efficient for me. It takes too many operations to
reorganize window layout since containers must be split *first* before a
window can be moved into it.  Using mouse-dragging, this becomes a one-step
operation.

-tom