On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:30 PM, Michael Stapelberg wrote:

> Why do you use Xephyr in the first place? AIUI, Xephyr is intended to
> be used by developers to test their applications, not by end users
> running an actual window manager.

That's a very valid question. The short answer is, that was not my
first choice/anything close to a good solution but more of a hack. The
longer answer follows below.

I am building a new application - let's call it A (an X11 app) that
needs to use an existing X11 application  (that I can't change) -
let's call it B. I would launch A and occasionally have to to fire up
B to do some stuff related to what A does/is doing. Ideally, I would
like B to be a sub-tab or somehow be 'contained within' A - to avoid
the two showing up as two disconnected applications on the desktop and
keep the two within the same 'container'. For lack of better options,
I decided to make Xephyr my container and use i3 to display A and then
B and switch back-n-forth etc. I'm open to any suggestions on better
ways of achieving this.

Thanks.