A few months ago I came back to I3 after having tried a few other things (KDE
again, tried Awesome).  But in the end I just really kept wanting to come back
to I3.

However, one thing that Awesome had that I'm really missing from I3 is an
ability to re-tile a bunch of windows.  In particular, I often run "cssh"
which opens 15 to 30 windows, and I'm manually going in and moving them left
or right to get them into a 3 or 4 different columns.  It sure would be nice
if there was a way to say "Reflow all my windows into 4 columns, evenly".

With Awesome it is more of a stack, and you have the "primary" window, so it
is easy enough to move things up and down that stack, so it isn't a big deal
how it orders the windows.  But in this case, I really don't care how it
orders them.

I will admit that I kind of missed the "primary window" idea and the ability
to swap things with the primary window.  But mostly what I'm doing right now
is to either "full screen" the window I want to focus on, or I switch the
container layout so that it becomes full height -- which means I lose other
windows in that stack, but I still have other stacks I can use for viewing on
the screen while in my "primary" window.

Anyway, I'm wondering what the right approach would be to get this re-flowing
to happen.  Would it be something internal to i3, where maybe there are a few
layouts you could choose from?  Or is this doable from an external script?  I
haven't done any i3 external scripting before.

Thanks,
Sean