You’re saying you’re running v4.8. I think the problem you are seeing
is fixed with commit 679a5de8cfb9211afb1a1dd882e53bd672084754, so
please upgrade to the “next” git branch and retry. Check the output
“i3 --moreversion”, it should display “Running i3 version:
4.8-115-g0125530 (2014-11-06, branch "next")”

--
Best regards,
Michael